The winter chill is upon us and there is nothing better the sitting next to a cozy fire. Commercial fire starters can easily run $9.50 for a box of 24. So why not make them yourself and save a little money this winter.
Take an ordinary toilet paper roll or a paper towel roll ( if using a paper towel run cut it in half so you can make 2).
Stuff your toilet paper roll with ordinary dryer lint until it is full.
Then place it in your fireplace or wood stove and lite.
Fire starters work because they are highly flammable please take all necessary precautions when using them. Safety first!
If you save your fireplace ashes this winter they will act as garden fertilizer this spring. ( more to come on that).
Always make sure your ashes are completely cool if your throwing them away in the garbage. They can catch your can, your house or even the garbage truck on fire. Last year alone there were several garbage truck fires due to the disposal of hot ashes.